School History
The History of
W.S. Hornsby Elementary School

Walter Spurgeon Hornsby, Sr. was born in Blythe, Georgia to the late Reverend Thomas J. (who was a Baptist minister) and Mrs. Charlotte Hornsby on February 22, 1882. He was educated at Nellieville Academy, Haines Normal and Industrial Institute, and Walker Baptist Institute. Though his father was successful and prominent as a minister, he was not wealthy, and young Walter was obliged to assist in meeting the family expenses by working between school hours so that the only time left for his studies outside of school was at night. During the entire time spent at Walker Baptist Institute, he served as a janitor, but he reached his goal of being a successful businessman through much perseverance and determination. Mr. Hornsby owned Hornsby-McCoy Realty Co. In addition, he was the developer of the Hornsby Subdivision. He died in 1956 at the age of 74.
W.S. Hornsby Elementary School opened in 1960 and was located on the historic Laney Walker Boulevard. The W.S. Hornsby Elementary school moved to Kentucky Ave in 2007. It merged with East August Middle School in 2009 and became W.S. Hornsby K-8 School. East Augusta Middle school was established in 1969 under the name of Sand Bar Furry Junior High. It became East Augusta in 1974. In 2018, W.S. Hornsby Elementary and Middle were separated into W.S. Hornsby K-3 and W.S. Hornsby 4-8. In 2020, the elementary school became W.S. Hornsby Elementary K-5 School.
